How to Root the LG Optimus V (Virgin Mobile) and Rid Yourself of theBloatware5:28 PM
WARNING: This process involves deleting all the data on your phone. Make sure you have a backup and be aware you may total your phone attempting this!
- Download gingerbreak.apk and store it on your LG Optimus V's SD card.
- Go to Settings > Applications and select Unknown Sources.
- Still in Settings > Applications, navigate to Development and select USB Debugging.
- Use a file manager from Android Market like Astro to navigate to the gingerbreak.apk file and install it.
- Run the Gingerbreak exploit to root your phone. Wait for your phone to reboot. This may take a few minutes. Do not interrupt this process!
- Download ROM Manager in Android Market and use it to create a backup of your LG Optimus V's current data.
- Download the stock and optimized ROM for Virgin Mobile's LG Optimus V. Move it to your LG Optimus V's SD card.
- Shut down your phone.
- Hold down the volume down button and the home button while pressing the power button to reboot in to Recovery mode.
- Using the volume buttons to navigate, go to wipe data/factory reset and press the camera button.
- Navigate to yes and press the camera button. Wait for the application to finish clearing the LG Optimus V's data.
- Select install zip from sdcard, navigate to the zipped stock and optimized ROM, and select it using the camera button. Once the installation process has finished press the back button and select reboot system now using the camera button.
- Make sure you re-activate your LG Optimus V using the activation link on the home screen.
Now your LG Optimus V should be running the original Android Froyo operating system minus all the bloatware default applications like AirG Chat and WHERE.
BTW, these phones make awesome Christmas presents as introductory Android phones. The 3G plans are cheap, unlimited, and non-contracted.
xjonquilx | Sabayon, Ubuntu, Fedora, Linux, Oh My!
- Boost Mobile Eyeing LG Optimus Black, Samsung Replenish (pocketnow.com)
- LG Optimus V by Virgin Mobile (mobilephoneimpressions.wordpress.com)
- LG Optimus Slider coming soon to Virgin Mobile (unwiredview.com)
- LG Optimus V for Virgin Mobile drops to $99.99 with Best Buy (gadgetell.com)