The Toshiba Satellite L755D-S5204 Laptop: A Perfectly Priced (and Perfectly Awesome) Christmas Gift11:07 AM
Let's go over some of the specifications of the Toshiba Satellite L755D-S5204 laptop:
- AMD A6-3400M 1.4-2.3 GHZ quad core processor with integrated AMD Radeon HD 6520G 512 MB graphics
- 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHZ memory
- 640 GB HDD (5400 rpm)
- 15.6" HD TruBrite® LED Backlit display (16:9 aspect ratio, supports 720p content, 1366x768)
- Webcam and microphone
- Bluetooth® V3.0 + HS
- 3 x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x headphone output, 1 x microphone input, 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet port, 1 x RGB port, 1 x HDMI port
- 7-in-1 memory card reader
- SuperMulti DVD Burner
- Standard stereo speakers
- 6-cell lithium-ion battery, up to 3 h 56 min battery life
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Edition
- Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Reduced functionality Word® and Excel® with advertising)*
- TOSHIBA Face Recognition
- TOSHIBA Resolution+® Upconvert Plug-in for Media Player
- WildTangent® Game Console
- TOSHIBA App Place
- Microsoft® Silverlight™
- TOSHIBA Bulletin Board™
- TOSHIBA Service Station
- Norton Internet Security™ 2011 (30-day trial)
- TOSHIBA Recovery Disk Creator
- TOSHIBA Web Camera Application
- TOSHIBA HDD/SSD Alert
- TOSHIBA BookPlace™
- TOSHIBA Media Controller
- TOSHIBA PC Health Monitor
- TOSHIBA Disc Creator
- Microsoft® Windows Live Essentials including Photo Gallery
- Writer and Movie Maker
- TOSHIBA Laptop Checkup
- Hard disc (HDD) recovery
- TOSHIBA ReelTime™
- TOSHIBA eco Utility™
- Google® Chrome
Now let's go over some of the features of the Toshiba Satellite L755D-S5204 laptop:
- One of the USB ports supports Sleep and Charge, which allows you to charge devices using the USB port on the laptop even if it's in hibernation.
- The processor underclocks itself at 1.4 GHZ until it reaches full load, then it clocks itself at 2.3 GHZ. This feature saves battery life and prevents overheating.
- The display is very high quality, and doesn't distort/change colors when you view it from the side like most laptop displays do.
- This laptop utilizes dual GPUs, which means it has not one but two graphic processor cores.
I have been using the Toshiba Satellite L755D-S5204 laptop for about a week now and it has been very smooth, fast, quiet, and most importantly cool. The graphics aren't the best out there (making this so not a "gaming laptop") but they do make for a very smooth gaming experience on games like Dungeons and Dragons Online. Even though you know Windows 7 isn't my operating system of choice I must admit I've been impressed by how fast it runs on this laptop. Something else I would like to note about it is Toshiba actually did things right with the RAM and used two 2 GB sticks instead of one 4 GB stick, so you get the performance boost of DDR. Something else I find pleasing about this laptop is it uses one of the processors that will be capable of running Hyper-V in Windows 8, even though I seriously doubt I will be upgrading to Windows 8 any time soon. It's still nice to know that you can get an upgradeable laptop for just $500.
The casing for the Toshiba Satellite L755D-S5204 laptop is extremely sturdy although it is plastic. It certainly beats the shiny paper thin plastic on my HP Pavillion DV7-2180US. This casing is semi thick plastic designed to have a dark blue brushed aluminum look. The touchpad is also textured to make for smoother movement. The brushed aluminum effect minimizes fingerprints and probably scratches too (sorry folks but I'm not going to purposely scratch this laptop for the sake of finding out if scratches show up easily on it).
The amount of bloatware on the laptop is minimal compared to some other OEMs (cough, HP, cough), and consists mainly of lightweight and helpful applications like the Eco utility, which helps you save battery. Another nice addition Toshiba made on this laptop (and the first time I've seen an OEM add this to their default installed software) is Google Chrome.
The Toshiba Satellite L755D-S5204 laptop rates a 5.9 in the Windows Experience Index, which is pretty high for a laptop at this price. Here are the results from a PC Wizard global benchmark:
Processor Global Performance : 91930.80 Marks
Cache and Memory Global Performance : 59459.00 Marks
Memory Global Performance : 6454.45 Marks
Video Global Performance : 510.00 Marks
Hard Disk Global Performance : 96.00 Mark
CPUIDMark System :
The I've only really got two complaints about the Toshiba Satellite L755D-S5204 laptop. While the speakers are listenable they certainly do not compete with my HP Pavillion DV7-2180US's Dolby system with subwoofer. However, they're better than what I normally expect on a $500 and less laptop. Additionally while the battery does last the advertised 4 hours it could do with an upgrade to an 8 or even 12 cell lithium ion battery to have a much longer battery life for travel. The sleep and charge USB port in my humble opinion doesn't do you much good if the total life of the laptop battery is only 4 hours, unless you're only going to use your laptop to charge your other electronic gadgets (which if you're taking your laptop with you in the first place chances are you plan on actually using it and not just lugging it around to charge your cell phone).
Overall though this is a very reliable and workable laptop. If you know someone who wants a laptop for Christmas you can't go wrong by buying them the Toshiba Satellite L755D-S5204, unless that person happens to be a hardcore gamer.
Next I will try out Linux on the Toshiba Satellite L755D-S5204 laptop. The last time I tried a Toshiba laptop on Linux the hardware was incompatible. Will the hardware be compatible with the drivers available in Linux this time around? Stay tuned to find out!
xjonquilx | Sabayon, Ubuntu, Fedora, Linux, Oh My!
- Toshiba Satellite L755D-S5204 Review (slashgear.com)
- Toshiba Satellite L755-S5271 15.6-Inch LED Laptop (choicepon.wordpress.com)
- How do you insert a sim card to toshiba satellite l500 (wiki.answers.com)
- Review: Toshiba Satellite P755-S5270 15.6-inch laptop with multitasking prowess (writovloc.wordpress.com)